Friday, August 1, 2008

New Top for Titus, the Viola

Yesterday I started the first blog of my life at age 63. Today I erased it by accident and am starting over with a photo of the result of another accident involving Titus, the viola whose top was smashed in transit three months ago. Violin makers have many hurdles to over come. The risks involved in modern shipping are just a few.

Now Titus has a new top which will be purfled and varnished soon. I used western red cedar for the new top which is the same type of wood I used in the original top. I am hoping that the sound will be just as good as the original.

1 comment:

Elle said...

Oh, this must have been heartbreaking! But I saw in a subsequent post Titus reborn. Your instruments are beautiful, I hope someday to be able to see and play one. Perhaps I will be able to return to my first love, the viola. I've enjoyed exploring you website and blog, will visit often. Regards, Elle