Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Attention all Small Cellists

The newspaper clipping is an old one I just came across while cleaning out my attic. Back in 1973 I was so excited about this vertical viola, that I gave a recital/demo of the instrument which was modeled after those of Carleen Hutchins. At the time I thought this instrument would be the VIOLA that could change the world of viola playing. And now over 30 years later, I still think violas should be played big and vertically. So, attention all small cellists, here is a dream instrument for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anne,
Thank you for this post and the inspiration to think about playing the viola as a cello. I keep looking around for an inexpensive viola to give this a try! Meanwhile, I keep plugging away with the cello playing; my teacher keeps working with me on getting a bigger sound with the smaller 7/8 cello, playing closer to the bridge with more arm weight. But, still I remember how easy it was to get the string to spin on my previous 4/4 cello. Ah the joys of being a small person with small hands!

One of these days I hope to get the chance to play one of your beautiful cellos (or violas). Thank you for this great web site.
Carol